Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we look at the rumors from six months ago and see which played out as originally predicted. Let’s jump right to it.
September 10, 2018
- The Undertaker vs. Triple H match is expected to continue to get heavy promotion over the next month, especially because it’s expected to lead to more matches later.
- Yes. It was heavily promoted. (1/1)
- There’s apparently been some talk of an Undertaker & Kane tag team match in Saudi Arabia.
- That happened against D-X. (1/1)
- Some time ago, WrestleVotes noted Bray Wyatt is likely in for a character refresh and renewed singles push. That could be happening soon.
- Still waiting, despite what he tells my man Sean Rueter. (0/1)
- With heavy speculation that Pentagon will be going to NXT soon, he said at an event this past weekend that he isn’t going anywhere.
- He is not in WWE. Pretty much everywhere else though.
- R-Truth vs. Andrade Almas has been announced for SmackDown and it looks like they could be feuding in the future.
- They’re still feuding. (1/1)
September 11, 2018
- Backstage sources told Fightful that Vince McMahon is very impressed with Andrade “Cien” Almas.
- I mean who wouldn’t be?
- Contrary to a report from earlier in the day, Edge says he isn’t booked for SmackDown 1000. Or at least not yet.
- He was there. We don’t know when it came together, but he was there. (0/1)
- WWE is hoping to make Evolution an annual event, says Barnburner’s Fired Up podcast.
- Now there’s rumor that may not happen if they get women on the Saudi Arabia shows. We’ll see.
- Meanwhile, Dave Meltzer writes in The Wrestling Observer Newsletter that while the Oct. 28 all-women’s PPV is still expected to sell out, “It’s not a hot ticket at all. It’s not a flop; but, it’s definitely weaker than probably any WWE pay-per-view in a long time.”
- I think there’s a sect of fans still coming around on women’s wrestling the way it’s presented.
- According to PW Insider, WWE is looking at hosting a WrestleMania week event at Manhattan’s Lincoln Center next year.
- Nothing that I see and they’re pretty booked through Mania time. (0/1)
September 12, 2018
- Nikki Bella vs. Ronda Rousey for the Raw women’s title still looks to be in the plans, per TicketDrew.
- That was the Evolution main event. (1/1)
- There’s also continued speculation that women’s tag team titles are coming. This could be from a sheet going around claiming to be an Evolution match card rundown, but that is believed to be a fake.
- They’re here. They weren’t on Evolution though. (1/1)
- Dave Meltzer noted on Wrestling Observer Radio that Pentagon Jr. and Fenix likely can’t make a move to WWE until they’re out of their contracts from Lucha Underground, which may be at the end of season four. That’s expected to be at the start of 2019.
- They’re not with WWE.
- PW Insider says that their future and its uncertainty will be used in upcoming MLW storylines.
- It wasn’t an on-screen story. (0/1)
- Pro Wrestling Sheet says The Rock’s daughter has been training at the WWE Performance Center dating back a number of months.
- Talk about tough shoes to fill. She should talk to Charlotte about how to navigate that.
September 13, 2018
- There’s a lot of speculation, including from Bryan Alvarez on Wrestling Observer Radio, that we could see a double-turn in Hell in a Cell’s SmackDown women’s title match Sunday.
- We did not. Charlotte did not turn heel until much later. Becky worked pseudo-rudo for a bit longer. (0/1)
- Chris Jericho told Busted Open there’s a chance he’ll work the New Japan/ROH show at Madison Square Garden next WrestleMania weekend, turning up the volume on talk it’s just a matter of time before he works another non-WWE show in the U.S.
- Doesn’t sound like any AEW talent is working this show. But he’ll be working a non-WWE US show this year, which is the crux of this rumor. (1/1)
- On Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer clarified Mick Foley is not allowed to take any bumps while refereeing the Roman Reigns/Braun Strowman Cell match. A reason he was booked for the role was to promote the one-man show premiering on WWE Network immediately after the PPV.
- I completely forgot Foley was the ref in that match.
- Carmella’s apparent face turn is for Mixed Match Challenge. It’s undecided at this point if she’ll remain paired with R-Truth or a babyface after they’re eliminated from the Facebook show.
- She is still a babyface and still paired with the ageless R-Truth.
- PW Insider is sticking to their story that Edge will appear on SmackDown 1000, saying the Hall of Famer only played coy with a fan on Twitter so WWE could announce it first.
- He was on SmackDown 1000, as part of an angle with Becky Lynch. (1/1)
September 14, 2018
- Kurt Angle’s vacation isn’t expected to last long, and he should be back on television sooner rather than later.
- He had that match with Drew McIntyre in November. He’s still rather part time. (1/1)
- According to WWENetworkNews.com, Curt Hawkins will be playing host for a series on the WWE Network centered on the biggest losers in history.
- Apparently this was a thing. (1/1)
- Per PW Insider, James Storm is already done with MLW, after just setting up a feud with Tom Lawlor.
- His wiki doesn’t even mention MLW. (1/1)
September 15, 2018
- There could be even more managers coming to WWE, including from outside the company.
- They just signed Stokely Hathaway but we don’t know how he’ll be used. There aren’t any other managers of note. (0/1)
- Neville is apparently telling promoters he can’t work any dates yet but will be able to very soon, according to the Observer.
- He returned to Dragon Gate in October. Now he’s also an AEW guy. (1/1)
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that it’s not known if Mick Foley’s status has changed as far as what WWE would allow him to do physically as special referee in the Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman Hell in a Cell match but that he’ll still be limited.
- I don’t believe he took any real bumps.
- Matt Riddle has started his training at the Performance Center, says the Observer Newsletter, and apparently there’s talk of Riddle vs. Kassius Ohno at NXT TakeOver: Los Angeles.
- That match did happen, though it was a squash. (1/1)
- PW Insider says MLW tried to run a show at Center Stage in Atlanta and was blocked by a deal with another promotion, though it’s unclear which.
- NXT has worked Center Stage. But so has ROH.
This week: 12/18 – 67%
Overall: 2,639/4,795 – 55.0%
Have a great week, everyone!
Article Originally Posted By Kyle Decker At Cageside Seats – All Posts
Note: Turnt Sports News is a syndicated sporting news service. We own neither the images nor the content posted in these articles. If you’d like something removed, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.